The Book Club

Press releases fall into my inbox daily but it's rare to get an email that doesn't start something like "we would love you to feature our xxxxxxx in your magazine / website / blog". When Kate Battrick sent me a witty and personal email I had to write back. Hell, she'd actually read my blog first!

Kate is an author and has written the charmingly-named and naively-illustrated tome "Make Do and Mend: How to buy a designer handbag while remaining friends with your bank manager and your conscience" (and husband I hope). Now I haven't read the book yet - Kate suggested dropping a copy off at a desirable boutique of my choice to keep my anonymity in tact - but instead I thought I'd ask her some questions and put it on my must-buy list for later. (I'm trying to save money to buy a handbag don't you know).

So, how did you get where you are today?
"I sold out from being a poor church mouse fashion journalist and headed for the bright lights of PR and Marketing. I got paid loads and worked for a great brand but suddenly I wanted to go back to my first love - fashion. I chucked in my job and ligged my way into people's favour. My book sprung out of not having a bonus that I could go and buy a lovely new handbag with anymore. At the moment I'm working as a personal stylist sorting out people's wardrobes and shopping habits".

Tell us about your average day
"I have a quick run, make porridge and, if I'm not working, happily while away hours obsessing about my wardrobe. I often check stock in shops and try on clothes to check fit, sizing and potential for clients. If it isn't Thursday, Friday or Saturday I look forward to the joy that is my husband making a cup of tea upon an evening. Come Thursday I pull corks out with my teeth and I read a story book at bedtime to my little boy".

Why the book?
"I just felt lots of women - me included - had failed to learn how to be happy with what we had. Most of us don't know how to budget. We can't wait for a minute when we see something we must have and we leave a trail of clothes worn once or not at all. I was sorting out people's wardrobes and clearing out clothes they'd wasted thousands of pounds on".

How can we bag that bag then?
"Stop buying the latest must haves and never attempt to emulate anyone remotely famous. Know your income and expenditure and budget accordingly. Make your own sandwiches for lunch. Give up your gym membership. Rediscover the joy of soap! 49p and lasts you for a month at least - compared to £1.99 for a bottle of shower gel which is gone in a week or two. Become highbrow about Starbucks (feign anarchist tendencies - they're capitalist scum!) and save yourself £2 a day. Go to Borders and flick though French Vogue. Have book swap or clothes exchange evening with friends and get the thrill of the new without the cost. Then reward your efforts by paying a set amount into an online savings account - set up a standing order and set yourself a timescale i.e. in 12 months you'll be able to buy X bag. Pretend you are on a waiting list".

What are your must-click websites?
"I lose at least one to two hours a day on Net-a-porter.com, matchesfashion.com, style.com and investigating blogrolls. I'm a facebook devotee too, despite raising the average age from 19 to a slightly higher figure".

To the future: What are your plans?
"I'm going to set up a website or blog to support the book but I'm ready to expand my writing - ideally writing for a fashion mag or daily paper. Getting commissioned to publish another book would give me even more hours of not doing anything remotely purposeful until deadline looms too!"

Your most fashion-fabulous moment?
"Last time I was in Harvey Nicks I bumped into Mr Louboutin while he was putting his shoes on the shelf! I had no shame and asked him for his autograph - he wrote Pour Kate and signed - he was fab! If I achieve no more than his autograph I'm happy. But he does have these lovely t-bar shoes..."