Just a warning: this is a Bag post so look away now if you're over them

I work my handbags hard and always buy a new one each season. This is because they look begin to look tatty and not because I'm a mindless consumer desperate for The New. To counteract the pacing I put my totes through, my mother suggested I purchase a basic bag to use while running errands and that I keep my precious Marc and Miu sacs for best. This seems like a slightly off idea, mainly because living in the metropolis means that every occasion counts as 'best' (I still remember when my forays into the capital as a _____shire teen would require weeks of outfit-planning and one never knows who one will bump into in Tesco) but also because so many cheaper bags are inspired by High End versions - I certainly don't want to look like I'm toting a knock-off (or couldn't differentiate between that and the Real Thing). I'm not yet sold on Mummy's plan because constantly shifting keys and lipstick between bags could become a drag but here are 5 possibilities that hold their own design-wise and that I wouldn't mind getting scuffed on the Number 11 bus.

Just to be super-fussy, my criteria also decrees they be a dark(ish) colour, have exterior pockets, are made from leather (no PU or PVC, please) and are a tote shape for ease of handling. My budget is £100(ish) - it was £50 until I realised that all that buys you is sticky pleather. This was hard!

Boden £95











French Connection £130

















Monsoon £75

















Faith £60

















Asos.com £65